Izmir (Turkish: Izmir) is a large metropolis in the western extremity of Anatolia. The metropolitan area in the entire Izmir Province had a population of 3.95 million as of 2010, making the city third most populous in Turkey. Izmir metropolitan area extends along the outlying waters of the Gulf of Izmir and inland to the north across Gediz River's delta, to the east along an alluvial plain created by several small streams and to a slightly more rugged terrain in the south. The ancient city was known as Smyrna, and the city was generally referred to as Smyrna in English, until the Turkish Postal Services Law of 1930 made "Izmir" the internationally recognized name.
The city of Izmir is composed of several metropolitan districts. Of these, Konak district corresponds to historical Izmir, this district's area having constituted the "Izmir Municipality" (Turkish: Izmir Belediyesi) area until 1984, Konak until then having been a name for a central neighborhood around Konak Square, still the core of the city. With the constitution of the "Greater Izmir Metropolitan Municipality" (Turkish: Izmir Buyuksehir Belediyesi), the city of Izmir became a compound bringing together initially nine, and since recently eleven metropolitan districts, namely Balcova, Bayrakli, Bornova, Buca, Cigli, Gaziemir, Guzelbahce, Karabaglar, Karsiyaka, Konak and Narlidere. Almost each of these settlements are former district centers or neighborhoods which stood on their own and with their own distinct features and temperament. In an ongoing processus, the Mayor of Izmir was also vested with authority over the areas of additional districts reaching from Aliaga in the north to Selcuk in the south, bringing the number of districts to be considered as being part of Izmir to twenty-one under the new arrangements, two of these having been administratively included in Izmir only partially.
Selcuk is the central town of Selcuk district, Izmir Province in Turkey, 2 km (1.2 miles) northeast of Ephesus. Its original Greek name, Agios Theológos (Άγιος Θεολόγος) referred to John the Theologian. Under the Ottoman Empire, it was known as Ayasoluk (Ottoman Turkish: Ayaslug). In 1914, it was renamed Selcuk after the Seljuk Turks who first led incursions into the region in the 12th century. It was a township in Kusadasi district until 1954 and Torbali between 1954-1957. It finally became a district in 1957. Its neighbours are Torbali from north, Tire from northeast, Germencik from east, Kusadasi from south, Aegean Sea from west and Menderes (formerly Cumaovası) from northwest.
Selcuk is one of the most visited touristic destinations within Turkey, known for its closeness to the ancient city of Ephesus, House of the Virgin Mary and Seljuk works of art. The 6th century Basilica of St. John the Apostle, which, some claim, is built on the site of the Apostle' s tomb, is also inside the town. The old quarter of Selcuk remains generally retaining traditional Turkish culture and locality.
Ayasoluk Hill dominates the surrounding area, with several historical buildings on its slopes, including the Isa Bey Mosque built by the Seljuk Turks in 1375, and the Grand Fortress. Moreover, Selcuk Ephesus Airport and Selcuk Training Center of the Turkish Aeronautical Association is only 3 kilometers away from Selcuk, offering piloting, parachuting, and microlight training.